My sports Injury: How It Happened and How I Got Through It

Over a year ago, I dislocated my ribs during soccer practice while fighting a girl for the ball. I tripped over her after she had fallen and landed on one of her cleats which pushed my ribs upward, and out of place. Not knowing that I was hurt, I continued to practice for two days, wondering each day why I was out of breath after a simple jog and why my right side was constantly hurting. After evaluation from the college trainers, I found out that my ribs had been out of place.

Not knowing anything about my injury or how to properly handle it, I let the trainers pop my ribs back in and went right back to my dorm room. Little did I know that I wouldn't be able to get out of bed, bend over, dress myself, or barely have range of motion when twisting to my right side for about three weeks. The right side of my torso, where my ribs were, was tender, swollen, and I couldn't move without any sharp pain going through my back. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know who to go to because the trainers told me I would be good enough to play the next day.

Every day I continued to go to practice and had to sit and watch the girls play the one sport that I love more than anything. If my back and ribs were feeling great that day, I was allowed to try and practice. Throughout my injury I was able to complete two full practices and get playing time in three games. Injuring my ribs didn't only inhibit my daily activities, but it broke my heart. During the last game I was able to play, I only played for 13 minutes. During those 13 minutes I gave everything I had on the defensive line. The girl I was marking was constantly shoving on my back which made even more stabs of pain run through my body because I wasn't able to run without hurting yet.

Around the 12 minute mark my body had enough. My legs didn't want to move because of the pain I was in, and I wasn't able to breathe properly. I had my teammates yell at the coach to pull me out and it took a full minute before I was able to walk off the field for the last time. When I got to the side lines I laid down and started crying. The trainers were trying to stretch me and have me do certain exercises for my back pain but nothing was working. Finally, they told me that since I was in so much pain and that I wasn't able to continue running or jogging after such little time that my season was over.

I have played soccer for 15 years. To have something so close to your heart taken from you in an instant hits you in a way you can't imagine. After that game I have gone to several doctors for x-rays, CT scans, and therapy which never worked. To this day, my intercostal muscles between my ribs are too weak to hold them in place.  If I twist the wrong way or hit them on something, they will most likely come out again. Some of you may be wondering, "How has she gotten through over a year of being in this much pain?" Let me tell you, it was through everyone I surrounded myself with.

Even though therapy didn't help me get any better, I had an excellent set of therapists that encouraged me to persevere through my injury and to look at a future without pain. They were careful with my exercises, knew my pain tolerance, and would have conversations with me about my day. The friends I surrounded myself with also helped me look on the positive side. They all knew what I was going through, couldn't relate to my injury, but still looked out for me and would help me with anything I needed (carrying laundry, taking me to practice, walking with me to class). My friends would sit and listen to me complain about how much I missed soccer and how I wish this injury would hurry up and heal. Not once did any of them tell me to be quiet or to get over it. They understood I was frustrated.

One of the biggest things that helped me get through my injury was working out. It may sound crazy because I endure a lot of pain when I work out, but it gave me a sense of accomplishment every time I completed even the smallest workout. Doing one sit-up or walking half a mile was like climbing a mountain to me. Working out has always been a big part of my life (I also lifted competitively). It helped me through times when I was down or frustrated, and it taught me how to appreciate my body. Exercising also releases endorphins which makes you happier, and could be why everyone's jumping on the workout bandwagon.

In a way exercising gave me an injury that could possible affect me my whole life, but it also is a way for me to focus on the future and a better me. Even if you are injured, I encourage you to work out in any way that you can (can even be doing something as simple as stretching), and I guarantee you will be able to see the difference it makes in your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Dogs Really Man's Best Friend?

Why I Think Relationships Are Pointless

Vacation! Vacation! Vacation!