Domestic Abuse: Do We Really Talk About It?

One of the most reoccurring, but never talked about topics in relations is domestic abuse.

At work I have talked to several people about relationships and have asked them for advice. Every single one of them have said that if you're with a guy that hurts you, you need to get out as soon as possible and find help. This took me by surprise and I looked at them confused. Each of them took the time to explain to me that they have been in, or witnessed an abusive relationship.

It is shocking that more than half of the women I have talked to have witnessed an abusive relationship. They had to figure out for themselves when the best time to leave was or make a decision as to whether or not it was okay to intervene and help someone in a domestic abuse relationship . They didn't see early warning signs and found out when they started dating or decided to ignore how they were being treated.

I myself have been in a couple of abusive relationships and never thought the person I was with would ever do that. When I talked to them they were nice, patient, and cared about what I had to say. But, 4-5 months into the relationship I began to see and feel their true side. Both guys started to get a short temper, they began to try to force me to do things I didn't want to or wasn't comfortable with, and hitting started. Not knowing what to do, I stayed in it thinking he would change and I would be happy again. People from the outside looking in told me it was best to leave and that I would be happier by myself. I brushed off their opinions because I thought that I was in love with the person I was with, and this love made me oblivious.

No one ever told me that people like that don't change. It was unhealthy for me to be in a domestic abuse relationship and I have never felt more free to this day, than when I left.

The only lessons in school close to this topic were about sexual abuse and how to report it, and about going through puberty. No one around me, not even the adults, talked about abuse in relationships. I feel that it is needed in our education system because so many females experience it everyday. It is important to teach young girls the warning signs and symptoms, what to do if they begin to experience sexual abuse, and how to get out of one.  If the youth are educated on this topic, then we will expect to see a drop in the amount of domestic abuse cases each year.

Women, young or old, do not deserve to go through this at any point in their lifetime. Coming from someone who has personal experience, it can ruin who your are as a person and your relationship mentality will be damaged.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Dogs Really Man's Best Friend?

Why I Think Relationships Are Pointless

Vacation! Vacation! Vacation!