Snakes as Pets: the Positives and the Negatives

When asked the question "What makes a good pet?", many people may think of a furry friend or a fish. A good pet is calm, loving, easy to take care of, and one you can play with. Typically, no one thinks of a snake as a good pet when really they should.

Before I was born, my parents had three, twelve foot boas that lived in an apartment with them. Each one had a diet of rabbits and they had their own tank to stay in. Once I was born, they were sold and replaced with smaller types of boas. This way, it was safer for me to be in the house and my parents could still have the type of pet they wanted.

The type of snakes my parents got when I was born were red tailed boas. Boas can reach up to twelve feet long, but usually they stay between six and ten. The snakes need an enclosure that is about eight to ten feet long. If you have a tank that is smaller than this then no worries because snakes do not like to stretch to their full length. They prefer to stay curled up or hide under something, which also helps them cool down. Snakes like the red tailed boa also need a water dish big enough to soak in. To keep them warm, a heat lamp can be used and sat on top of the lid of the tank. The smaller boas can eat mice and rats, but if they are big enough they are allowed to have rabbits.
(columbian red tailed boa)

Red tailed boas make excellent pets because they are docile. Once we moved out of an apartment and into a house, our snakes had their own room. My parents would get them out and do laundry, dishes, sweep, and dust with them around their neck. When I got older (around age 5), I was allowed to hold the snakes by myself. I would sit on the couch, go outside, and walk around with them in my hands. Most people wouldn't think so, but I feel that they are really nice to snuggle with.

Snakes love heat, so when you're holding them they will wrap around your arm or hand and sit and absorb all of your body heat. They are also really fun to pet! As long as you go down their back, snakes are really smooth and feel like silk. If you try to pet them the opposite way, you risk breaking scales and hurting them. One of the current snakes that I own, a northern water snake, loves to have under his chin rubbed.
(northern water snake)

Snakes can be really difficult to take care of depending on the breed, but if you get one that is docile then it's a simple and fun pet to have. When snakes are babies, they do require a lot of handling. This way, they are more friendly with everyone and like to be held. There are only a couple of negatives to having a snake as a pet. You can't train them like other pets, and if you are squeamish of rodents then it is best not to own a snake. They feed on mice, rats, and rabbits.

When deciding whether or not to own a snake, it's best to sit down and consider if you're ready for a reptile or if you want to stick to a furry friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Dogs Really Man's Best Friend?

Why I Think Relationships Are Pointless

Vacation! Vacation! Vacation!