The Life of a College Student : The Pros and Cons

Everyone imagines a college student as someone who goes out and parties every night, stays up late to finish homework, and as someone who procrastinates every chance they get.

I am here to tell you that these stereotypical views are not true. Coming from a current college student, I spend more than my fair share of time studying and working, with little time to myself.
Image result for college student stereotype
My schedule looks something like this :

  • Sunday - sorority meeting at 7pm 
  • Monday - classes 8am  to 2pm / Community service club meeting 7pm
  • Tuesday - classes 8am to 4pm
  • Wednesday - classes 8am to 2pm
  • Thursday - work 6am to 6pm
  • Friday - classes 8am to 2pm
  • Saturday - work 6am-6pm
Not to mention time thrown in for homework, club activities, sorority activities, and working out. 
It is extremely hard for me as a college student to make money to pay for gas and tuition, all while finding time to get my work done efficiently. It is also difficult to find time to spend with my friends and go out to eat or enjoy the outdoors. I feel that I am always stuck inside doing work or sleeping because of my schedule. 

My sleep deprivation comes from getting up extremely early to get to work or drive to school. I do my best to get all of my work done before 11, or save some for the next day. But no matter how much you get accomplished, more and more keeps getting added. 
Image result for college student

There are pros to my schedule being packed. It allows me to be social and spend time with people that will encourage me to do my best (club members and sorority sisters). 
I also feel a sense of accomplishment and pride in being able to pay for college myself, and to keep my grades up. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication, but I feel that it makes me more focused as a person. 
Being busy also helps me grow as a person. My club and sorority have connections with people across the United States. When there are national conventions, you have the opportunity to chat with people from different states, hear their opinions, and be able to share your ideas. Also, there are certain values and standards you have to uphold as an individual. As a person I need to set a good example in person, and on social media (no drinking pictures, well dressed and don't post about every feeling or problem I have). This also helps me hold myself to a higher standard than I would have if I wasn't in any clubs. 
In addition to all of this, having early classes and working gives me responsibility. I need to make sure I am up in time to get ready, drive, and be to class or work on time every day. Being late can get me fired, and it can also hurt my grades for class. This sets me up for when I graduate because I will have to keep a consistent schedule and be up and ready every morning. 

Being a college student is more tiring than I thought it would be, and it is difficult to make time for myself or to even study. When thinking about kids in college just remember that most of us are here to better our future and to learn. Also, a lot of us work while we are in school to be able to provide for ourselves. If you have gone through college yourself maybe you understand the struggle of finding balance. If you haven't, talk to some people going through the college experience or find out for yourself what it's all about. 

Yes students do have their fun every now and then, but when it's time to be serious, you bet we're all about it.
 Image result for college student

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Dogs Really Man's Best Friend?

Why I Think Relationships Are Pointless

Vacation! Vacation! Vacation!